Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Cake Flour Substitute Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Cake Flour Substitute

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

swsha4 01-12-2008 @ 11:52 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am wondering if one can substitute spelt flour for cake flour in baking cakes.  I know that cake flour has less gluttons than all-purpose and spelt does too, so I was wondering if it would react the same.  If not, is there a way to compensate and still use it?

I have a family member who can eat spelt but not regular wheat and many other wheat flours.

TableBread 01-26-2008 @ 10:05 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Swsha - although I don't know of any specific recipes to substitute for cake flour I do know of a really good gluten free blog that could get you going in the right direction:
http://myglutenfreecookbook.blogspot.com/

She also has a ton of gluten free blogs in her blogroll.  Check it out, maybe you can find your answer there!

I can usually be found in the kitchen, everything else can be found here: http://tablebread.blogspot.com

swsha4 01-26-2008 @ 10:08 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks so much for the links!

zakattak 08-03-2010 @ 12:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Think about it this way: Cake flour is 27x finer then regular all-purpose flour. It's an interesting fact, really, but it helps me out a lot.

--Zakattak

Baking by day. Soccer by night.

SWEETIRIS 09-08-2010 @ 10:30 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I once substituted spelt flour for regular flour in one of my sponge cakes - it didn't work - it was supposed to be a very airy and fluffy cake but because of the substitution it became a dense and hard cake.  Depending on the recipe flour substitutions don't always work unfortunately.  You have to get a recipe which specifically mentions the different use of flours...

edwardmorgan 10-18-2021 @ 5:51 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 12-30-2021 @ 3:38 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 12-30-2021 @ 3:39 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts