Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Child with egg allergy: any good baking substitutes? Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Child with egg allergy: any good baking substitutes?

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

JeannieB 03-25-2007 @ 2:16 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi everyone  Smile

My 5.5 year old little guy has an allergy to egg.  I read on the net you can use 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 2 or 3 tbsp. warm water as a substitute.  I do this with cookies and pancakes and they come out fine. Lately I've been making cakes and frostings from scratch and every cake I make comes out dense/heavy.  My son and I prefer a light and fluffy cake. Anyone have any ideas on what might work better as an egg substitute in baking?  Thank you!  Jeannie  Smile

huma 04-09-2007 @ 1:26 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
hi,
me coming from an  egg allergic family i  use soda water (instead of eggs)normal cake.and for chocolate cake can use pepsi or coke.
hope this helps u.
bye

JeannieB 04-09-2007 @ 11:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Huma, thank you so much for you help.  I cannot wait to try my cake recipes again using your idea!  How much soda would you say you use in place of an egg?  1/4 cup?  A few tablespoons?
Thank you Huma  Smile
Jeannie

sweetiejo5 04-09-2007 @ 12:45 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi.  My daugter is also allergic to eggs.  I have tried many of the substitutes and have not found anything that doe not alter the taste and texture of the dessert some except for Ener-G Egg Replacer.  I buy it at my local Whole Foods Market.  It works beautifully in all the recipes I have tried it in.  If you can get your hands on some, it is worth every penny!

huma 04-10-2007 @ 1:35 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
hi jeannie
try this cake recipe.My family loves it.
condensed milk 400gm(1tin)       Flour 250gm
Baking Powder 1tsp               Butter 125 gm
Soda Bi-carb 1tsp                Soda water 200ml
             Vanilla essence 1tsp

Seive all the dry ingredients
Melt butter over hot water.Cool.Add condensed milk and beat well.Fold in maida and soda alternatively.
Pour it over the greased tin and bake for 30 -40 minutes at 140 degrees.

For Chocolate Cake:
Remove 2 tbsp from flour and add 2tbsp coco powder.Add coca cola or pepsi instead of soda water.

huma 04-11-2007 @ 12:02 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
condensed   milk is 400 gm not ml . sorry for mistake.

maryb 05-07-2007 @ 4:31 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
many of my sons friends are strict vegan and will not eat eggs.  We looked on the web - and successfully made the MOST delicious cookies by substituting half a banana for each egg.  so three eggs was 1-1/2 bananas - ours were 'just ripe' not overly, and they suggested to add a bit of baking powder.  For the above I added 1/2 tsp.  We made mollasses (ginger) to die for, as well as a decadent espresso chocolate, and peanut butter.  All were the 'jumbo' deli type - 6 to a sheet and everyone (nonvegans as well) are still talking about them.   We have now successfully used this conversion for 'cornbread' as well.  With fat grams and cholesterol concerns, we decided we will use this frequently.

best,
maryb

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts