Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Problem with Pound Cake Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Problem with Pound Cake -- page: 1 2 3 4 5

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

thompson 09-13-2004 @ 8:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes.  I have been trying to bake a simple Sour cream Pound Cake, but everytime I take it out of the oven after the time has expired, the cake sinks in on the sides, shrinks in the pan, and when I cut it I notice that it has "wet" streaks thru the cake.  Not sure what is causing this.  The cake tastes fine, but it looks like it has undone rings around the cake.  The recipe calls for 6 eggs, 3c sugar, 3c flour, 16oz of sour cream, vanilla, almond, baking soda....the normal stuff.  I bake for 1-1/2 hours at 325.  My ex-mother in law bakes this cake all the time, she was the one to share the recipe with me, and her cakes come out perfect everytime.  I have only had one success.  Please let me know what I could be doing wrong.

Käsekuchen 12-21-2004 @ 5:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Im´m from Germany, I know your problem but I can hardly explain.... I´m going to wirte my best english   Smile
I always work with seperated eggs and I crem the Butter for 10 minutes before i start to prepare the dough. My cakes are always very fluffy, perhaps you should try that.
And there must be something wrong with your Baking time, i think you should leave the cake in Oven a little longer, about 10 minutes. did you ever test the cake with a toopick before taking out of the oven?

Yours sinderely,
Greets form Germany
Jana

katieb 03-13-2005 @ 2:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
my sisters and friends have had this problem with pound cakes, i use 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 2 additional eggs,bake @325 for 1 hour,350 for 30 minutes,seem to work for me.

best baker

natcat 11-08-2005 @ 8:08 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
One of the things I can think of is, just make sure when you put your pound cake in the oven, it is on the "middle"rack, and the other thing is, if you don't have an oven temperature gauge, I would go buy one, it's so simple, but very important, especially in baking cakes, breads, etc, & make sure that all of your ingredients are very fresh... Good Luck!!

Have A Sweet day!!

natcat 01-02-2006 @ 9:41 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Happy New Year Thompson !!
I have a recipe for a Sour Cream Pound cake by; Nick Malgieri:
3   cups  unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp.  baking soda
1/2 tsp.  salt
2 sticks  unsalted butter:ROOM TEMPERATURE
2 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp.  lemon extract
1/2 tsp.  vanilla extract
6 large eggs: Room Temperature
one 8-ounce container sour cream: Room Temp.
*Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees:*Grease & flour Bundt Pan
1.stir together flour, baking soda, & salt in a small bowl
2.place butter, & sugar in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer with paddle attached, beat until the butter mixture is very light in color, about 5 minutes.
3.beat in the extracts.
4. beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. reduce the mixer speed to low speed, & beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the sour cream beat until smooth after each addition. scrape sides down if needed.
6. beat another 1/3 of the flour,then,after flour has been absorbed,put in remaining sour cream, mix, then, beat in the last of the flour
7.use a rubber spatula to give a final mix to the batter, then, scrape it in the prepared pan, smooth the top of the batter.
8.bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the cake is well risen, cracked on top, & well colored, insert a toothpick 1/2 way down between the side of the pan & central tube, comes out dry.
**put the oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven

Have A Sweet day!!

alyarb03 08-06-2018 @ 4:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

MaryJ 06-06-2019 @ 4:04 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

peter333 07-20-2019 @ 5:34 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

peter333 09-12-2019 @ 6:15 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

globalnem 02-19-2020 @ 1:46 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts