Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / Baking Tips & Ideas / Whipped Cream Substitute Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Whipped Cream Substitute -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Marriz 06-02-2004 @ 7:56 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Diana!

Can you please tell me a good substitute for whip cream or heavy cream - the one you use in icings and frostings? Thanks a lot!
- Marriz -

diana 06-03-2004 @ 8:32 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Marriz,

When you ask about a good substitute for whip cream, do you mean a substitute for heavy whipping cream (that you buy in the grocery store to make whipped cream), or do you mean something else for using as a topping for a cake, etc.? You can always use Coolwhip or Dream Whip Dessert Topping Mix (a powdered topping mix) as a topping substitute, but neither of these make really good substitutes for icing or frosting a cake.

Please let me know what you meant.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Marriz 06-07-2004 @ 8:02 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Dear Diana,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeas, I mean a substitute for heavy cream to frost my cakes with. I have wanted to make an icing made of butter or cream because they taste better and creamier unlike white shortening which gives a lardy taste. I like using white shortening though because it wont easily melt like butter. I have not tried using whipped cream yet because it is not very popular here ( honest! Smile  )and when it is available in the supermarts, it is so expensive. I have tried using Wilton's Buttercream recipe but I find it too sweet and grainy ( despite a lot of mixing ). Still looking for a good icing recipe.  Thanks for the suggestions though. More power!

Marriz

For the love of baking,

diana 06-08-2004 @ 6:27 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Marriz,

Here are two recipes for frostings; alternatives to whipped cream frostings. One is for a very nice Buttercream frosting (which should work well on cakes) and not be gritty at all, and one is for Cream Cheese Frosting which I think is so delicious on many types of cakes.

Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. water
16 tbsp. (2 sticks/8 oz/1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Instructions:
In the top pan of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl placed over but not touching simmering water, combine the egg yolks, sugar and water. Whisk until very thick and pale, about 4 minutes. Remove the pan or bowl from over the water and let cool to room temperature.

In a bowl, combine the butter and vanilla. Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat until very soft and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the cooled egg yolk mixture. Let the mixture stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until spreadable, about 20 minutes.

Use the frosting immediately, or cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze for up to 1 month. Before using, let stand at room temperature until softened, then beat with an electric mixer set on high speed until smooth and fluffy.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Comments: Use this cake frosting on any cake where a rich, tangy frosting is desirable, such as carrot cake, etc.

Ingredients:
1 lb. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. (3/4 stick/3oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)

Instructions:
In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter. Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat until smooth. Reduce the speed to low, add the confectioners’ sugar and again beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts until well blended. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before using.

Makes about 2 3/4 cups.

Marriz, please let me know if you make either of these frostings for your cakes.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Marriz 06-10-2004 @ 7:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks, Diana! I will post the results/feedback on these new recipes soonest. Sound yummy! Playful  Thanks!

starr1 08-22-2004 @ 8:26 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Here's a link to some low-fat 7 minute frostings - bit of work, but worth it, imho anyway..lol

Low fat 7- Minute Frostings

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com
http://www.bellybytes.com

michelle 08-28-2004 @ 2:17 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
The British recipie for butter cream is
100g butter
200g icing sugar
few drops of vanilla extract.

Simply place all the ingreediants together in a bowl. Beat until smooth

starr1 08-28-2004 @ 5:07 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I'm not sure just what you're looking to frost, but depending on what it is, in a time-crunch, I've also used fat free (or regular if the fat doesn't concern you) Cool whip  -  I love it!

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com
http://www.bellybytes.com

alyarb03 04-13-2019 @ 5:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

peter333 07-17-2019 @ 11:01 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts