Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Salted butter vs unsalted butter Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Salted butter vs unsalted butter

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

edwardmorgan 03-23-2022 @ 6:10 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

edwardmorgan 03-18-2022 @ 12:27 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-26-2022 @ 3:11 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-26-2022 @ 3:07 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

edwardmorgan 02-17-2022 @ 11:46 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

krogerbest 06-08-2021 @ 8:13 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

simrnz 04-17-2009 @ 10:58 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I would say you can replace salted butter with 1:1 ratio. Like you can use 50% of the salted butter and 50% of plain butter. There are recipes i.e. (yellow cake) where butter creates the real taste. So you need to focus on butter mainly.

<a href="http://www.recipesexpert.com/desserts.html">Desserts</a>  

Emkay 04-16-2009 @ 9:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Not only can you control the amount of salt you add in, but I personally have found that unsalted butter yields a RICHER, FRESHER, more buttery taste. Coincidently, UNSALTED butter has a shorter shelf life. I made several batches of classic shortbread for the holidays last year. For the latter batches I had to resort to using salted sweet cream butter because I had used up all of my unsalted sweet cream butter. The taste and quality of texture were slight, but noticeable. I won't bake with salted butter unless I have to. Ever try baking with Plugra?! It's a European style butter with a higher fat ratio than say Land O' Lakes. It yields decadent results, but it's definitely not a butter that you want to spread onto your toast every morning  Wink  

Biffhank 04-15-2009 @ 6:38 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I prefer unsalted butter and will use it even if the recipe doesn't specify
salted or unsalted.  I feel most recipes have more than enough salt and
the difference to use unsalted instead of salted isn't noticeable.  I have
used salted when it calls for unsalted and left out the salt.  I think there is
roughly 1/2 t. salt to salted butter so if you use a recipe calling for salted
and salt added, you can add up to 1/2 t. salt to the recipe to adjust for
your unsalted butter.  Unsalted is preferred because the salt content of
the butter varies from company to company and salt allows the butter to
remain on the shelf longer and not taste old whereas unsalted will allow
you to add salt to taste and generally be fresher.

Oregon Baker

katmoo 03-28-2009 @ 9:26 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Which do you prefer to bake with? Also if a recipe calls for unsalted butter and you don't have any can you substitute salted butter and leave out the salt (if there is salt in the recipe)?

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts