Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / The 10 essential cook books Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: The 10 essential cook books

Printer-friendly Version  new posts first

minibaklava1 03-27-2012 @ 4:12 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
If you are interested in Middle Eastern Desserts or
specifically Baklava, then there is this great recipe i
found on http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-baklava/ that
help prepare Baklava in very simple steps.
Love baking Baklava at home and enjoying this wonderful
self made treat.

Minibaklava - Middle Eastern
Desserts Online

cfkessel 10-18-2010 @ 7:04 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
One of the best I have found is "Cookwise" by Shirley Corriher. She is a chemist, so she explains in detail the whys and also how to correct a problem.

Enjoy

Zoe

Lorac 10-14-2010 @ 8:28 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Sirena,

This is my first post as I am a total newbie to this site.  While I realize I'm a few years too late  :-)
I have a book called "In The Sweet Kitchen".  In this book is has all what you are looking for.  Eg what eggs do in a recipe/oil/sugar/flour/butter/salt/ect ect.  Gives detailed guide to all cooking essentials and ingredients and what their perfomance is for.  It's by Regan Daley

Sirena 01-17-2007 @ 8:57 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi, riverina_ripple. I'll look for Nigella's books.
Thanks for your help!
Sirena

riverina_ripple 01-15-2007 @ 11:04 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Sirena,

If you're like me and like focussing on baking, I would strongly recommend "How to be a Domestic Goddess" by Nigella Lawson. I have bought quite a few cookbooks, but this is definitely the one I use the most by far. I'm not sure if, by 'history and the whys of baking', you mean the development of certain foods or otherwise, but another book by Nigella Lawson, called "Feast", has a section before each chapter explaining why the foods in the chapter are baked for a certain event. I love my Nigella books!

Hope this helps!

Sirena 11-16-2006 @ 1:15 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I would like to know, which baking books do you consider essential, for asome one who likes to read recipes (and bake them!), but is also interested in the history and whys of baking (the "scientific" side of baking).
regards, Sirena

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts