Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Chocolate Hazelnut Expresso Creme Brulee Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Chocolate Hazelnut Expresso Creme Brulee

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

BudSpliff 10-27-2006 @ 10:04 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I am fairly new to cooking.  About 1 1/2 I was forced to learn how to cook after my mother died of Lung & Bone Cancer secondary to Ductal breast cancer.  So it was either learn how to cook or Dad & I would have been eating alot of TV Dinners & carryouts.

We are having 12-15 over the day after Christmas.  One of the things that is expected of me anytime someone comes over is an over the top desert that they'll feel guilty for well into the New Year.

Last year in honor of my mother who loved Choclate & Rasberries, I made a 4 layer Choclate Rasberry Layer Cake.  7 people polished it off in under 15 minutes.  

I have been doing quite a few cakes in fact just made a 4 layer lemon curd cake while I was watching the World Series tonight.

For Christmas I wanted to do something a little different Chocolate Hazelnut Expresso Creme Brulee.

I have two questions regarding this.

1. I try to save as much time as possible & was wondering if I could use Nutella in place of the Chocolate.

2. How much expresso powder should I use?

Here is the recipe.

1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean

2 teaspoons Hazelnut Extract

4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

4 egg yolks

1 tablespoon sugar

4 to 6 tablespoons cane sugar, for topping

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Mix the cream and vanilla bean & Hazelnut Extract together in a double boiler. Heat the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes and stir in the chocolate. Remove the vanilla bean.

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Slowly pour the chocolate cream into the egg mix, continuously whisking. Place the bowl over simmering water until the cream mix thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 6 to 8 minutes. Pour into 4 (4-ounce) custard dishes. Place in a large baking pan and add enough water to come up halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake until the custard is set, about 1 hour. Remove from the water and cool. Cover and refrigerate. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each one and with a brulee torch, caramelize the top and serve.

Thanks!

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts