Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / MyPoor Brownies ! Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: MyPoor Brownies !

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

skhan 10-25-2006 @ 1:54 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hellow !

I have just baked brownies and they didn't turn out much good as I was expecting them to be ! I don't know whats the problem ! My recipe was an ordinary brownie recipe. First of all is that the brownie mixture didn't even fill up the half of the baking pan I don't know why ! I used the recipe for an 8 inch square pan and my pan size was the same. Second is that the brownies didn't rise much, I used 2 tsp of baking powder in 4 ounces of flour ! Please Please someone help me figuring out this mystry !

skhan

diana 10-25-2006 @ 9:23 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi skhan,

It sounds like the recipe you used was not accurate. Something is wrong if the brownie mixture didn't fill the pan and the brownies didn't rise much, although brownies don't really rise too high ususally, maybe 2 inches. Did you get the recipe from a reliable source? The other thing you might want to check is your baking powder, making sure it's still good. Here's how to check to see if it's still good:

Baking Powder Test:
To check your baking powder to see if it still causes a leavening reaction, first stir the contents of the can to see if there is any lumps. This is an indication that the baking powder has picked up moisture, and started a reaction in the can.

You can place a teaspoon of baking powder in a glass of tepid water to see if it fizzes.

Check the code dates on the bottom of the can to make sure it is still in code. Baking powder has a usual useful life of 24 months from the date of manufacture.

skhan, have you made brownies many times before? Maybe you need a new recipe.

Please let us know how your next batch of brownies turn out. Maybe try another recipe, one that comes from a reliable source.

Good luck!

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

skhan 10-26-2006 @ 1:44 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanx madam !
It was my second attempt to bake brownies, the one I baked first time didn't turn up good as there was uneven rising;but the taste was fine.I didn't worry about those because I thought irregular temperature caused this (as there was some temperature problem).

After that I got terribly busy in my studies so I couldn't try baking that again. Now on this Eid I decided to bake the brownies again.I used the same old recipe (the recipe is shown in the end).

Today I baked the brownies again with the same recipe but I made a change,the change was simply very silly!
When I was putting the battar into the pan I figured out that the change I made has nothing to do with filling the pan or rising the brownies,it just made the bownies very cakey !. Ahhhh that silly change was: I increased the amount of flour by about 2 ounces. I did that to fill the pan but the mixture got very cakey and I felt as if I am making a batter for a cake !
This batch of brownies got rise more than the previous one but these were very cakey; I mean very soft and crumbly....
I should not have increased the amount of flour thats what I figured out , I don't know if there could be any other reason.

Yes madam you are very right,normally the brownies don't rise much (I was comparing mine with the local baker's brownies Wink I don't know how those are so much HIGH!)I figured this out when after baking my brownies I saw the pictures of homemade brownies on net.

The recipe I used I took from a baking book and I think that its a reliable book but I am going to write that recipe here so that u can tell me is this fine with an 8 inch square pan, and madam tell me one thing more,does the depth of the pan matters ? I think my pan was very deep and I should have used a shallow one, but that wasn't mention in the recipe.
And last think; I don't mind if you can give me yours special and many times tried brownies recipe :D...
And one more last thing, I'm feeling veryyyyyyyy nice on this forum as I don't have anyone around me to whom I can share all this! My mom doesn't bake so she just says that may be I need practice ! But I guess that cooking/baking is half science which should be learnd and half art which comes with practice ! what do u say?
I guess we can put this as a poll on this forum ! hehe !

Ok finally let me tell u the recipe I used.

INGREDIENTS

100 gms butter
4 ounces white sugar (I used confectioners'sugar)
2 eggs
4 table spoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used natural cocoa)
4 ounces all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 tablespoons of boiling water
half cup choped walnuts ( optional)

DIRECTIONS

--> first sift the flour,baking powder and salt together and set aside.
--> Mix the butter and cocoa and hot water.     
--> Add sugar, mix well, then add eggs one by one  and mix well.
--> Now add the flour and mix with spoon, and in the end add the nuts.
--> spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 180'C
                  ----------------

....And many thanx for your baking powder test, thats "zaberdest" I mean wonderfull !
The code date can deceive but this will always help !    

skhan

diana 10-27-2006 @ 10:50 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi skhan,

Yes, using an 8-inch square baking pan is fine for your brownie recipe but the depth of the pan matters alot. It should be no more then 2 inches deep.

You can try any of the brownie recipes on this website and see how you like them.

I agree with your Mom, practice is very important. You will learn how to do things correctly the more you practice each type of recipe, such as brownies. You will get a "feel" for it. But you are also correct, baking is about science also and it's important to learn the science part of it too if you want to become a really good baker.

Try your brownie recipe in a pan that is 8 x 8 x 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep. Don't add extra flour, just use exactly what the recipe calls for and see what happens, ok.

Let us know how the brwonies turned out according to the exact instructions.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

skhan 10-30-2006 @ 9:32 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanx madam for your tips. I have measured my pan's depth, its about 3 inches deep !
So,I've got to buy the one you have suggested.The shop I buy baking pans from, doesn't have the one, so I need to search for it some where else. My holidays are over and now I am back to college. But I'll keep visiting this cool site. I'll let you know about my next brownies. I hope I'll get the right pan soon !  

Take care, skhan

skhan

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts