Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Uneven rising of cakes Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Uneven rising of cakes

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

kassie 06-20-2006 @ 11:52 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Bought a new stove, and now my cakes are higher in the centre than around the edges.  Edges are hard and the centres crack.  Looks like it bakes to fast around the edges?  How can I solve this problem

Hasna 06-21-2006 @ 5:45 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Kassie,
You should try to lower your temperature by 25 degrees; just bake a little longer then the recipe calls for. By 10 - 15 min. You will have to do some practice runs.
Hope this helps.
Hasna
Ummmm....Cheesecake!
www.freewebs.com/ummmmcheesecake/

kassie 06-21-2006 @ 11:37 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks for the response and the advise.  I really appreciate it!

rudyru52 08-13-2006 @ 10:26 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Kassie, Is your oven level?  If not, you will have problems with lopsided cakes.  Put a level in there and check it front to back, side to side, and diagonally.  If it isn't level you will have to adjust that.  Most stoves have leveling "feet" at the corners just for that purpose.  When I got my new wall oven I hovered over the builder with my level, and he worked on it until it was perfect. (Probably wouldn't have gotten that kind of job had I not "supervised".)  Smile

Keep it cookin'

hobbychef 08-15-2006 @ 2:39 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Kassie, Have you tried Magi-Cake strips.  My wife uses them and it helped even her cake layers out. HTH, Steve

dessertqueen 08-25-2006 @ 9:43 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
I find the same thing happens to my cakes. I will try lowering the oven temp and cooking for longer.  What are these magic cake strips, how do they work and where do you find them?

Chocolate Rules!

diana 08-27-2006 @ 1:02 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi dessertqueen,

For perfectly level cakes, use the Magi-Cake strips. Saturate them in water, squeeze out excessive moisture, wrap strip around outside of pan, place in oven and bake. When done, let strips dry out and use again and again.

You can purchase these at CandylandCrafts.com:

Magi-Cake Strips
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/bakingaids.htm

Or they can be purchased at other online stores such as Amazon.com, etc.

Good luck and happy baking!

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

dessertqueen 08-30-2006 @ 9:34 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Thanks Diana, I appreciate the info.  What kind of and size of baking pans do you recommend?

Chocolate Rules!

diana 08-31-2006 @ 9:18 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi dessertqueen,

As far as what kind and size of pans, well it depends on what recipe you're using. I suggest always having at least two, 8 or 9-inch round cake pans and also a 9 or 10-inch springform pan. Are you going to buy the Magi-Cake Strips? I think it will be well worth the money. If you're making alot of cheesecakes, then I would also purchase the 4 strip set besides the 2-strip set as most of the time, cheesecakes are made in 9 or 10-inch springform pans and of course the 2-strip set is great if you make alot of 8 or 9-inch layer cakes.

Good luck and please let me know how your cakes turned out using the Magi-Strips.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts