Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Crybaby Molasses Cookie Recipe & History Wanted! Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Crybaby Molasses Cookie Recipe & History Wanted! -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Zippy 03-01-2006 @ 6:37 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Ruthie, my 90-year-old friend,

recently told me that back in the

1950's, she used to bake Crybaby

cookies, both for her husband,

Harold, as well as for all the

neighborhood kids. In fact, she was

called "The Cookie Lady" by those

same children. Ruthie says that in

addition to the molasses in this

recipe, she often added raisins and

sometimes nuts. After spending

some time together digging through

Ruthie's recipe box full of faded

and use-worn recipes, all lovingly

handwritten on many 3x5 cards, we

were never able to come up with

the recipe for Crybabies.  I'd love to

know more about these cookies

and how they originated. Sounds to

me like these cookies would have a

story or two behind them! Anyone

able to fill me in?

I would greatly appreciate any and

all help! This is my first entry as a

new registrant to this site. I found it

while looking for an easy delicious

almost no-cook holiday dessert to

bring to a function of 50-60 folks

around Christmas. I made Diana's

Peanut Butter Snowballs. I'd never

attempted to make a candy before

and this recipe exceeded my

expectations! They came out great

and were a smash. I love them.

Thank you, Diana.

Wishing You All Warmth,
Zippy  

natcat 03-11-2006 @ 8:19 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi  Zippy
  I looked the cry baby cookie recipe up online, & some of the history I found was, there was an Inez Marie Bartlett Fornof, that was born in October 5, 1898; in Norwalk, Ohio, & passed away on May 5, 1989,in  Wilkinburg, Pa. she used to work for the Salvation Army. & Mrs. Bartlett- Fornof had that recipe in her cookbook( I imagine that Inez's mother, Mrs. Bartlett had the cry baby cookie recipe in her cookbook also.). You might try to go on the Fornof's website, & contact them. There's also some old pictures, on their website!! Hope this helps

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

natcat 03-11-2006 @ 8:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Zippy,
Here is the recipe for the Cry Baby Cookie:
1.Cream together 1/2 cup soft shortening & 1 1/4 cups sugar.
2. Stir in 2 eggs and 6 Tbsp. Molasses
3. Stif together & add to the above:
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cinnamon

3.  Stir in:
    2 cups Quick oats
    1/2 cups nuts
    1 cup raisins

4.Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. WATCH VERY CAREFULLY TO PREVENT BURNING.

Makes 5 dozen 2/1/2 inch cookies
I hope this come close to matching the old recipe you have!!

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

This message was edited by natcat on 3-11-06 @ 8:34 AM

natcat 03-11-2006 @ 8:54 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Here is another recipe I found Zippy
  Crybaby Cookies

1 cup      Butter
1 cup      Sugar
1 cup      Dark Molasses
1          Egg, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp    Salt
1 tsp.     Vanilla
2 tsp.     Baking Soda
1/2 cup    Hot Water
4 1/2 cups Sifted Flour

:Mocha Frosting:
2 Tbsp.    Melted Butter
4 Tbsp.    Hot Coffee
2 tsp.     Vanilla
3 cups     Powdered Sugar

pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
Recipe:
1. Cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy.
2. Stir in molasses,egg, salt, and vanilla.
3. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add alternately with the flour to the butter mixture.

4. Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes (watch closely).

6. Blend Mocha Frosting ingredients together and spread on HOT cookies.

This recipe is a bit different then the first one, but they both look good !!!!! Smile

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

Zippy 03-11-2006 @ 10:29 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey Carol,

Thanks so much for the recipes you found me. They both sound very similar to what Ruthie described. Can't wait to try them. Even though, as my Grammy always told me, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, I plan to cut each recipe in half. (A few decades under the belt will do that!)

Since I rarely bake, I have a dim memory...and questions about what to do with the amount of salt while cutting a recipe in half...Do experienced bakers cut the salt ingredient in half or even less, as well?...OR...Do you keep the salt the same amount called for in the full recipe???...Any tips you can pass on will be greatly appreciated.

Sweetly yours,
Paula

natcat 03-11-2006 @ 10:49 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Paula!!
  If you're going to cut the recipes in 1/2, make sure to remember to cut the "salt" in 1/2 too.
  Another thing that you could do, is to just go ahead & mix up the whole recipe, then cut it in half, roll the dough you aren't going to be using in plastic wrap, then, in some foil, & stick the part you aren't going to use, real soon, in the freezer. I do that all the time!! That way I don't have to go through the whole procedure of starting from scratch!!  
Happy mixing!!   Smile

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

This message was edited by natcat on 3-11-06 @ 10:52 AM

Zippy 03-11-2006 @ 4:00 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi Carol,

Great idea to carefully wrap, freeze and save half the recipe! I'll try that.

I'm curious. How did you find the family website (and hence the Cry Baby Cookie Recipe)from Inez Marie? Did you just "google" family recipes for Cry Baby Cookies??? What's your trick?

Always, questions, questions and more questions!!!
Paula

natcat 03-11-2006 @ 4:30 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Good Afternoon Paula!!
  Thank you for the compliament, but I don't have any trick! it's just that when I read your message about the cry baby cookies, I knew that was a very old recipe, so with that in mind, I typed into the address bar "Crybaby Cookies" & the first couple of sites I went to just were too young!!! so, I just went down, one by one, & the 4th site(family geological website), hit the money Smile  so to speak, I printed out the recipe, & then clicked on Inez Fornof's name, & it took me to very interesting information, my grandma & grandpa were from Ohio, so I just kept reading, & you can click on the different names, & read all different kinds of information & very see old pictures. Inez Fornof had a cookbook with the crybaby cookie recipe in it, & I bet that her mother did also, goodness sakes just think how old that recipe is, you already do, atleast 100 + years old, & the recipes haven't really changed all that much, neat huh??!! If I want to find out something, I just keep typing different names, or whatever I am trying to find out, & eventually I do find it out.

I think that I'm going to mix up a batch of the crybaby cookies too!!. I just wonder, if the reason they called them crybaby is because when the babies were a little fussy, they made up some sweet cookies, to satisfy them in between feedings.

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

mamarama5 06-11-2019 @ 7:03 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

peter333 07-21-2019 @ 5:51 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 

Sorry, this message can not be displayed at this time.
It has not been approved by an administrator or moderator.

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts