Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / i need help.. Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: i need help..

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

Kelly7 01-24-2006 @ 10:32 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi diana..i tried your double chocolate chip cookies recipe today..but i cant anything near to the one you made(based on the picture).i did followed all the instructions in the recipe.the cookie turned out to be really flat.by the way,is the cookie supposed to be soft or crispy?please help me out..i'm new in baking and i'm clueless!

diana 01-26-2006 @ 9:04 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Kelly7,

You know it's been quite a long time since I've made these cookies and I am not sure whether the cookie is soft or crispy, but I think somewhat soft. They shouldn't be flat though. Is your baking soda still good? Try a new box of baking soda and see if that helps.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Elle 01-27-2006 @ 10:22 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
That has happened to me before.  Try chilling the dough before and after you form the cookies so it won't spread as much.

Elle

Kelly7 01-27-2006 @ 7:15 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
thanks a lot!i will try making the cookies again...hope they will be nice this time!

Elle 01-28-2006 @ 6:45 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Okey dokey -- I made two batches of my chocolate chip cookies, so here is what happened:

1.  The first batch I made with 50-50 butter and margarine and it completely spread.  I didn't freeze the balls until solid, so maybe if I did it wouldn't have spread so much.

2.  The second batch was made with 50-50 butter and shortening.  It didn't spread as flat as the first batch did, which I was happy about.  I did freeze the balls of dough until firm, though, which may have made a difference.  All I know is that butter and margarine have more water than shortening, thus the reason why cookies made with all butter spread more.

I hope this helps!

Elle
https://www.active.com/donate/tntin/tntinCProvo

natcat 02-28-2006 @ 1:15 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello Kelly
  I have been baking for a long time, & I know that if you use margarine, most of the time, your cookies won't come out, the way you want them to.
  If you can buy an oven-temperature gauge at the grocery store, that will help a lot also.
  Just make sure that when you use, 1/2 regular butter & 1/2 Smart Balance shortening, the butter is at room temperature.
  Also, make sure that when you add eggs( room temp), the eggs are LARGE, unless the recipe tells you otherwise.
  Don't let the baking soda sit on your shelf for too long, it doesn't cost very much at the store, just pick a new box( & check the label for the expiration date also)
  I always chill the cookie dough for atleast 4 hours, to over-night, just make sure you cover the dough with plastic wrap first, before you put it into the fridge.
  No matter what type of cookie I'm baking, I always put the oven to 350 degrees, otherwise, you can over-bake them or they'll burn.
  Bringing the chilled ingredients, to room temperature, before you start mixing the ingredients together for your cookies, helps everything to mix together better.
  The reason I use regular butter, & smart balance shortening, is, it's better for our health. Margarine is not. The cookies will come out a little soft, not so crisp.
Smile
  Also, put your oven rack in the MIDDLE of the oven,
  your cookies will bake much better, because the oven won't be too hot on the bottom, or too hot on the top.
   Please pre-heat your oven for 20 minutes, before you want to bake the cookies.
   Smile

Have A Sweet day!!
Carol

This message was edited by natcat on 2-28-06 @ 1:19 PM

Kelly7 03-01-2006 @ 4:05 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hey Carol!Thanx for telling me all that.Those tips are really handy..thank you very much again..have a great day!

natcat 03-01-2006 @ 5:10 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Smile  Good Afternoon Kelly !!

You sure are very welcome, I remember, when I first started baking, I made a lot of mistakes, then I found out about margargine, which made me back off BIG TIME !!!
I tried mixing up chocolate chip cookie dough with just butter, & they are really yummy!! & also, with just butter, the cookies get real crisp, sooo I tried 1/2 butter & 1/2 smart balance shortening, & I found out the answer to keep our cookies, chewy, & with a big glass of cold milk, or a fresh cup of hot coffee, they are GREAT !!!!!!
The reason I use "smart Balance" shortening, is because it doesn't have any "trans-fatty acids".
   When you buy some, just make sure that you write the date that you bought it- (on the top of the can,) because we can only keep ANY shortening, for "one year" NO MORE. I just dump it in the trash & get some more, if there is any left.
   I hope you have a great day tomorrow!!!

Smile

Have A Sweet day!!
Carol

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts