Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / looking for a chocolate loaf cake Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: looking for a chocolate loaf cake

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

kelli 09-12-2005 @ 5:36 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hi all,

I'm looking for a recipe for a chocolate cake (prefereably something simple - I'm not a great baker yet!), that I can make in a 9x5 loaf pan.  What I'd like to do is cut the cake into 3 layers and then frost in between each layer.

Is it possible to bake regular cake recipes (or even boxed cake mixes) in a loaf pan, rather than the standard pans?

Thanks so much for any help!

Great site, btw!  I have bookmarked a lot of recipes to keep me busy in the future Smile

Kelli

diana 09-13-2005 @ 9:06 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Kelli,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts website and to the Discussion Forum.

Here is a recipe for a chocolate cake made in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan:

Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake

Prep Time: 30 minutes (Ready in 2 hours 50 minutes)

CAKE
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
Powdered sugar

VANILLA FILLING
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2 oz/56g) butter or margarine, softened
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 C). Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

2. In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla; blend well. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

3. In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add melted chocolate; blend well. Pour batter into greased and floured pan.

4. Bake at 325 degrees F (160 C) for 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.

5. In small bowl, combine 1/4 butter and cream cheese; beat until light and fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup powdered sugar.

6. To Assemble Cake:
Split cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Place 1 layer on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 of filling, repeat with second layer and remaining filling. Top with remaining layer; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 servings.

Kelli, yes it is possible to use cake mixes for loaf cakes. I'm not sure whether one box of cake mix will make one loaf cake or two. I think it depends of the size of the cake mix package. Read the instructions on the box or package to see.

Good luck and I hope you continue to enjoy Diana's Desserts website and the recipes.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts