Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Newbie that needs ideas! Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Newbie that needs ideas!

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

flourchild 08-07-2004 @ 10:24 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello!  I'm brand new here but have enjoyed browsing through the discussions so far.  My am a stay at home mom in rural NW Oklahoma.  Just recently I started my own in-home baking business.  So far, so good.  But I would like some suggestions from you experienced bakers.  I have a friend who owns her own catering business.  She has ask me to "become her baker" and do all of her desserts.  Wow!  We are hosting a tasting party next month and inviting her clients in to taste items. With the holiday party season just around the corner, we are hoping to book some parties. I need to make 5-6 desserts for about 100 people to taste a bite of.  I have a few ideas but would love to hear any ideas or suggestions you might have.
Thanks!

Happy baking,
Flourchild

starr1 08-28-2004 @ 5:01 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Here's one suggestion...?

Almond Cream Crepes
Tasty Temptations Family Recipe
Crepes are back. They realized great popularity in the U.S. in the 1970s and epitomize elegance in desserts.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup ground toasted almonds
3 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites
Cooking oil
Sliced almonds, toasted
Sifted powdered sugar
Mixed fresh berries (optional)

Directions:
For filling, in a small saucepan combine the 1/3 cup granulated sugar and the 3 tablespoons flour. Add the 2/3 cup milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Beat the whole egg and the 1 egg yolk together slightly. Gradually stir half of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Return all of the mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat. Stir in the 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, the 1 teaspoon vanilla, the almond extract, and the ground toasted almonds. Cover and set aside.

Meanwhile, for crepes, in a small mixing bowl stir together the 3 egg yolks and the 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; stir in the milk and the 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine. Stir in the 1/2 cup flour and the 1/4 cup granulated sugar until smooth. In a medium mixing bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold batter mixture into whites.

Brush a 6-inch skillet with cooking oil; heat over medium heat. Spoon a generous tablespoon of batter into the skillet; spread with back of spoon into a 4- to 5-inch circle. Cook over medium heat until underside is brown or about 30 to 45 seconds. Turn and cook just to lightly brown the other side. Invert onto paper towels. Cover; keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter to make 24 crepes.

To assemble, spread about 2 teaspoons of the filling onto each crepe; fold in half, then fold in half again to form a triangle. Place crepes in an ungreased 3-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with almonds and powdered sugar. If desired, serve with fresh berries.

Makes 12 servings.

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com
http://www.bellybytes.com

Needlepoint142 08-28-2004 @ 8:27 PM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
A nice restaurant in my area serves grilled pound cake with vanilla ice cream topped with fudge sauce.

Why don't you do a couple of different pound cakes (one could be lemon) that show that you're a good baker?

People also seem to like brownies. Find yourself a good recipe & be sure to use real vanilla extract.

Some people also like creme brulees.

I've also had homemade cookies at nice restaurants. Smile

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts