Diana's Desserts Forum

Diana's Desserts Forum / By The Oven / Enquiries about 'Candy and Confections' Search | Register | Log In
     Reply to this DiscussionReply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Enquiries about 'Candy and Confections'

Printer-friendly Version  new posts last

angel 11-05-2003 @ 1:36 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
more info 
Hello..I am an Asian and is first time making cakes, cookies, candies etc..thus is very inexperience in this! I would like to know what do u meant by a heavy sausepan in this sentence "In heavy saucepan, over low heat...". Comparing to this sentence "Melt baking chocolate in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat..." I would like to know the difference between a heavy saucepan and a 3-quart and 2-quart saucepan.
Also..in the recipes given in the Candy and Confections, example like the rocky road candy and Cookies & Cream Fudge...will it melt if not put in the refrigerator?? I would like to give it to my friend aa a gift so i am very concern about the particular point. Please do help..thanks!

diana 11-05-2003 @ 8:35 AM                           Reply to this Discussion   Edit This Message   Delete This Message.
Administrator
more info 
Hi Angel,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum and to Diana's Desserts Website. I hope you will like your experience here.

To answer your questions:

1). A "heavy saucepan" just means a pot that you would cook in that is a bit heavier in weight than a light weight saucepan. It should be a metal pot with a handle so when you go to pick it up, you won't burn your fingers.

2). Low heat, is when you cook or boil something on a low flame on your stovetop.

3). A 2 or 3 quart saucepan means, to melt the chocolate in a pot (which is also called a saucepan) that will hold 2 to 3 liters of liquid. A heavier in weight pot is better to melt chocolate in than a light weight pot. So, if you are going to melt chocolate, let's say for making fudge, you would need a somewhat heavy weight pot that would hold 2 to 3 liters of chocolate when melted. Here in the USA, we go by quarts instead of liters when we are talking about pots (saucepans).

4). No your fudge will not melt if not kept in the refrigerator. But, if you are going to keep it for any long length of time, it's a good idea to refrigerate it. If you are giving it as a gift to a friend, I'd wrap it very well in plastic wrap, and keep it refrigerated until you are ready to either put it in a box or tin for gift givng. It is definitely recommended that you refrigerate the fudge after it's made to let it become firm, so it can be cut easier later on.

Also, if you live in a very warm climate, the fudge and other chocolate candies should be refrigerated until ready to eat or serve, as chocolate candies and confections can melt quite quickly in a warm weather.

I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, but if not, please email me at diana@dianasdesserts.com, or you can also leave a message on this Discussion Forum. I usually read the messages every day or so.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts
Email Address: diana@dianasdesserts

Diana's Desserts Forum Home | Back to Diana's Desserts Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

© 2004 Diana's Desserts