Topic: Abount Almond Butter Melt-Aways

Candice    -- 03-23-2003 @ 1:20 AM
  I would like to try the reciepe of Almond Butter Melt-Aways found here... however, I am not sure what is Cake Flour? is it a special type of flour? can it be replaced by plain flour???

Thx thx for your help

diana    -- 03-23-2003 @ 9:37 AM
  Hi Candice,

Thank you for visiting Diana's Desserts Discussion Forum, and Welcome to Diana's Desserts Website for Home Baker's.

Here is some information about Cake Flour:

Cake or pastry flour is a fine-textured, soft-wheat flour with a high starch content. It makes particularly tender cakes, pastries, etc.

Cake flour is soft-wheat flour.

Equivalents: 4 1/2 cups Cake Flour = 1 pound.

Pastry flour (This has more protein than cake flour but less than all-purpose flour. Cakes made with pastry flour tend to be a bit less delicate and crumbly.)
All-purpose flour (Substitute 7/8 cup all-purpose flour for each cup of cake flour and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch for every 7/8 cup all-purpose flour used. Cakes made with all purpose flour tend to be less delicate and crumbly.).

These substitutions will perform better if you also do this:
(1) Mix the batter as little as possible.
(2) Separate eggs, beat the whites, and fold them into the batter.

By the way, I don't know where you live, but here in the USA, Cake flour can be purchased at the supermarket.

I hope this information helps you out, and please let me know how the Almond Butter Melt-Aways turned out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum :