Topic: Almond Cookies

sunjan    -- 01-15-2004 @ 4:51 PM
  Hi, I am from Singapore and would like to know if you have a recipe for almond cookies that is eggless and uses oil instead of butter. I have tried it before and the cookie is white in colour. Thanks!

diana    -- 01-16-2004 @ 10:49 AM
  Hi,

You can try this eggless and butterless recipe for Almond Cookies:

Almond Cookies

Comments:
Arrowroot powder makes these cookies perfectly crisp.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder (or you may use oat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or shortening
1/4 cup liquid sweetener
1 teaspoon almond extract
Whole blanched almonds

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper or brush with oil.

2. Mix together the all-purpose flour, the arrowroot powder (or oat flour, if using), baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, the liquid sweetener and the almond extract; add to dry ingredients. Stir well and form a smooth ball of dough. Roll dough out between sheets of waxed paper to 1/2-inch thickness (dust the bottom sheet liberally with arrowroot powder or flour).

3. Cut 2 or 3-inch rounds with cookie cutter, top each cookie with one whole almond and transfer cookies to baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden around the edges and underside, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies immediately from baking sheets to a wire rack to cool completely.

Note: You can also form cookie dough into 1 to 1 1/2-inch balls and transfer balls to baking sheet; flatten balls with bottom of a 2 or 3-inch drinking glass and top each cookie with one whole almond. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, watching the cookies carefully so they don't burn. Cool cookies on wire rack.

Tip:
Add one or 2 very SMALL drops of yellow food coloring to dough to add a little color to the cookies if desired.

If you make these, please let me know how they turned out.

Good Luck.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

sunjan    -- 01-17-2004 @ 6:39 AM
  Hi,
Thanks a million for the recipe. I'll let you know if it turns out well. I am wondering why the recipe uses liquid sweetener instead of sugar? What is the effect or purpose? Can it be substituted? Please let me know.

diana    -- 01-17-2004 @ 7:41 AM
  Hi sunjan,

I suppose (only guessing though), that the reason for the liquid sweetener used in this recipe is because the lack of eggs and butter in the recipe requires more liquid. This is only a guess. Also, the amount of oil used is not much. Also, this recipe is one that would be used by people who either are vegetarians or allergies to eggs.

If you want, maybe using regular sugar may work out, but you may need something in the recipe for binding the ingredients together (which is one of the purposes of using eggs in making some kinds of cookies).

Good Luck.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

Diana's Desserts Forum : http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum
Topic: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=8&Topic=134