Topic: Banana Shortbread

Irene    -- 10-05-2003 @ 10:53 AM
  Hi Everyone,
   Would like to share this recipe with anyone who want to give it a try.My family and friends like it and hope you do too.

Banana Shortbread

(A)
375 gm /13 ozs sugar
195 gm /7 ozs margarine
1 1/2 tsp sodium bicarbonate
3/4  tsp salt

(B)  
3 eggs

(C)
450gm /16 ozs mashed banana

(D)
450gm /16 ozs plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
120ml / 4 fluid ozs milk

(E)
100gm /4 ozs chopped walnut
50gm /2 ozs sunflower seeds ( optional)

1.Cream (A) till light and fluffy

2.Add (B) and cream till smooth

3.Add ( C) , mix till well blended

4.Mix in (D) till well combined

5.Add (E) and mix till well incorporated

6.Pour mixture into a greased and line loaf tin ( L 8 inches x W 4 inches x H 4 inches )  This quantity of mixture makes 2 loaves.
* You can also sprinkle some chopped walnut and sunflower seeds on top to make the bread more attractive.

7.Bake at  170 C or 338 F for 55 minutes to an hour

Note: Raisins can used instead of walnuts

girlmed    -- 10-10-2003 @ 7:15 PM
  Hi Irene,
Thanks for the recipe. This looks like a recipe that I've been looking for. A dear friend of mine made something like this years ago that she called Poor Man's Bread. She's been gone for a while now and I have looked for something even similar to it. This looks like it might be very close. She did put some raisins in it, but I don't remember the nuts. Anyway, I'm going to try this and see if it tastes anything like that.
Thanks! Smile

Thanks Much!!

Irene    -- 10-11-2003 @ 1:56 AM
  Thanks for wanting to give this recipe a try. Do let me know if come close to the one you are looking for. Haven't try it with raisins yet but will the next time I bake.

Here is another recipe which my US friend Virginia gave it me. She said her mother used to bake for the family when she was a kid ( and now she is in her 60's)And maybe this is the one you are looking for.

Banana Bread

Dry Ingredients

In a bowl combine:
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Set the above aside

Ingredients
3 or 4 bananas- mashed well and set aside

1/2 cup of Crisco( or whatever shortening you like)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
1/4 cup of buttermilk or sour cream

Pour the above ingredients except the buttermilk /sour cream in a large bowl.Used an electric mixer and beat on #8 speed for 1 1/2 minutes.Then add in 1/4 cup of buttermilk or sour cream and creamed it until well blended

Next , stir half of the Dry Ingredients into the mixture and then half of the mashed banana.Do the same for the rest of the dry ingredient and mashed banana. Mix well and beat it for 2 minutes on #3.

Lastly add in 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, walnuts or any nuts of your choice.

Use (2) 9 inch greased loaf pan. Pour 1/2 the batter into each pan.

Bake at 350F of about 50-60 minutes. Check it after 50 minutes to see if it is done and if it is not then give it another 10 minutes.

Remove from the oven and turn it upside down on a cake rack and cool it for 10 minutes. Then remove from the pans and cool it. You can brush melted butter or spray butter on all side and the top of the bread so that it doesn't get hard on the outside

Happy Baking

Irene

diana    -- 10-11-2003 @ 7:47 AM
  Hi Irene and Pat,

Irene, thank you for the recipe for Banana Shortbread. I am sure Guests to Diana's Desserts website Discussion Forum will enjoy it. I know that Pat is really anxious to try it.

By the way, (to Pat), I heard back from my Web Host, and he has figured out the problem with Netscape and the software for this Discussion Forum, and has corrected the problem. I am writing this reply through Netscape. Let's hope it works.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

girlmed    -- 10-11-2003 @ 5:42 PM
  Thanks Irene for the Banana Bread recipe. It sounds soooo good. I will certainly try that one too. I didn't have a chance today to try the shortbread, but will tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out. I'll bet it's what I'm looking for. It looks like it might be anyway.

Also to Diana....I just emailed you and thanked you for the info. Thanks much!! I'm on Netscape now and let's hope this one works.(LOL)

Pat Smile

Thanks Much!!

Diana's Desserts Forum : http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum
Topic: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=8&Topic=105