Topic: cake fillings

MichelleC    -- 02-24-2006 @ 8:49 PM
  How can I keep a filling from flowing out of the middle of a cake once I put the top cake layer on?  I made a cannoli cake for my husband's birthday and I followed the directions perfectly.  The filling seemed a little runny so I put it in the freezer to thicken it up a little bit.  It spread beautifully, but once I put the top cake layer on and started adding the icing, the weight started to push the filling out the sides.  What did I do wrong?

diana    -- 02-25-2006 @ 11:08 AM
  Hi Michelle,

Welcome to Diana's Desserts Website and Discussion Forum.

To answer your question about the filling flowing out of the middle of the cake once you've placed the top cake layer over the filling, I suggest that you use a smaller amount of filling and also to only spread the filling on the cake layer to no more the 1 to 2 inches from the egde of the layer so that way it shouldn't flow over the cake edges. Also, you should not have to freeze the filling, although if it is too runny, then I think you should cut down on the amount of liquid in the filling recipe.

Hope this information helps you out.

Sincerely, Diana
Diana's Desserts

MichelleC    -- 02-26-2006 @ 9:34 AM
  Thank you for your advice.  I will definitely try your suggestions.
Michelle

natcat    -- 03-10-2006 @ 12:00 AM
  Hello MichelleC
  I was reading your message, & I just wanted to ask when you made your cannoli cake, was the filling made with ricotta cheese?
  There are a few different fillings I have found, 2 out of 3 are made with ricotta cheese. Most of the time it says to drain the ricotta cheese in a colander for atleast 2 hours before using.
  I hope this helps a little  Smile

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

TeckPoh    -- 03-11-2006 @ 3:17 AM
  I don't know what a cannoli cake is, so please excuse me if this isn't helpful.

For butter or sponge cakes with 'soft' filling, you usually pipe a thick circle of stiffer buttercream or whipped cream at the outer edge to serve as a dam for the filling.

HTH.

warm regards,TeckPoh

CatWhispers    -- 03-13-2006 @ 9:04 PM
  Another thing you can do to help keep the filling inside the cake is to pipe a circle of the outside frostingon the top of the layer circling the edge (use a thick tip, maybe 1/4" or close to it).  Then fill inside that, and the piped circle will help keep the filling in, plus, when you frost the cake, you won't get the filling mixed in with the outside frosting and it will look nice too.

When I get a filling or icing that's too runny, I usually can fix it by adding more powdered sugar.  If you freeze it, don't forget, it will eventually thaw.  I know because I made that mistake myself. lol

MichelleC    -- 03-16-2006 @ 11:57 AM
  Carol
  Thank you so much for your response. Yes it was made with ricotta cheese.  But the recipe did not say to drain it before using.  Thank you so much for your advice.  I think that was the problem.  I will try your suggestion the next time I make it.

Michelle

natcat    -- 03-16-2006 @ 12:08 PM
  Hi MichelleC
  It gets so annoying, that when a person comes out with a cookbook, or gives you a recipe, that they don't put all of the directions on it.
  When you drain the ricotta cheese, I'm sure it'll turn out like you want it to, &  the frosting for the outside of the cake, if it's not thick enough the way you want, just keep adding more powdered sugar, don't forget the vanilla too!!!
Good Luck

Have A Sweet Day!!
    Carol

Diana's Desserts Forum : http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum
Topic: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=7&Topic=300