Topic: Cookies did not spread properly

hepeskin    -- 03-25-2007 @ 8:46 PM
  Help please! I made a batch of lemon cookies (which I have made successfully a couple of times before)- they turned out horribly - have a tang of baking soda and did not spread so they are all bunched up and the insides not properly cooked.  I cannot understand what went wrong considering they normally come out nice and crisp and quite thin.

Heather

Emkay    -- 03-29-2007 @ 3:51 PM
  I heard that using cold butter and eggs that haven't been allowed to come to room temperature makes cookies not spread properly. Perhaps this time your preheated oven wasn't at the correct temperature when you started baking your cookies. I use an oven thermometer to monitor the temperature before baking. Not one oven is the same as the next. Sometimes there are hot spots which cause uneven baking. It's a good idea to place cookie sheets in the center of the oven; and if there is another cookie sheet on a top or bottom rack- you should rotate and alternate the cookie sheets halfway through baking. Your best bet would be to allow adequate time for butter and eggs to become room temp, the oven to come to the specified temperature (using an oven thermometer), and baking one sheet at a time in the center of the oven. I would also check the expiration date on the baking soda. HTH

Maria

lizbabiz    -- 04-16-2007 @ 12:51 PM
  Emkay- I completely agree... All of your suggestions sounded good. Once on Thanksgiving-just after COMPLETELY redoing our kitchen-I was cooking a Turkey for my whole family-mine and my husbands side- and the Turkey never fully cooked we had it in for so long. My mother even came and tested it every 20 minutes and it was in for 2 extra hours. The kids all started complaining and our nice formal evening turned into dinner and a midnight snack. Our dinner being craft dinner, salad, asparagus and rice-Our midnight snack being turkey. After that we put an oven thermometer in to know the REAL temperature;)

Diana's Desserts Forum : http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum
Topic: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/website/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=6&Topic=417