1 1/4 cups (approximately 1 to 1 1/4 pounds-or 3-4 medium) cooked sweet potatoes
4 oz. (1 stick/1/2 cup/113g) butter
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 9-inch deep dish pastry pie shell (may be homemade, store-bought frozen or refrigerated, roll-out pie crust works equally well)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Boil sweet potatoes in a big pan of water. When tender, peel the sweet
potatoes, then place in a large bowl and mash well (if you beat them
with a hand mixer, the strings will wrap around the beaters and you can
3. Add butter, sugars, pumpkin pie spice and salt to mashed sweet potatoes. Mix well with a mixer.
4. Add eggs, buttermilk, flour, and vanilla, and mix well.
5. Pour sweet potato mixture into prepared 9-inch deep dish pie shell.
6. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, then lower temperture to 375 degrees F and bake for 25-35 minutes. The center of pie should be firm. Insert a knife into the very center of pie. If it comes out clean, the pie is done.
I place foil around the edges of pie crust so it won't become overly browned.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Source: Grandpa Garvin's Sister (Grace)
Submitted By: Laura Speck
Date: November 16, 2009