4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A dash of ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced apples (about 3 apples)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup sour cream
For the Glaze:
1. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan.
3. Add sugar mixture to the melted butter and bring mixture to a boil.
4. Spread mixture evenly on bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
5. Layer apple slices over mixture. Set aside.
For the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, beat oil, sugar, and vanilla for 30 seconds. Beat in eggs one at a time.
4. Combine applesauce and sour cream in a measuring cup.
5. Alternately add flour and applesauce/cream mixture to oil mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
6. Pour batter over the glaze mixture that is already in the pan.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool 10 minutes, and invert.
Makes 18 servings.
Submitted By: Nishat
Date: February 22, 2009