250 gms (two sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter
100 gms (1/2 cup) icing sugar (powdered sugar)
2 1/2 tablespoons evaporated milk
5 standard egg yolks, ( in US use Large size egg yolks)
5 egg whites*
120 gms (½ cup plus 2 tablespoons) superfine sugar*
*NOTE: Whisk the egg whites and the superfine sugar together until glossy, but not stiff.
200 gms (1 cup) self-rising flour
35 gms (2 ½ tablespoons) corn flour
NOTE: Sift the self-rising flour and the corn flour together.
100 gms (1/2 cup or 3 ½ oz.) grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Fully line the base and sides of a 13x9x1 1/2 " pan with non-stick parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and icing sugar (powdered sugar) until light and fluffy.
3. Beat egg yolks with evaporated milk until well mixed ; add the whisked egg whites in two batches; mix well.
4. Fold into the butter mixture and add in the sifted flour and corn flour mixture, and lastly the grated cheese.
5. Pour mixture evenly into the prepared pan and baked in a pre-heated oven at 180 C (350 degrees F) for approximately 30 minutes or until done and golden brown in colour.
6. Let cool, then cut into squares and serve.
Source: Zue Hussin
Submitted By: Zue Hussin
Date: July 2, 2002