1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small apple, peeled and cored
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup apple butter
2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping (optional)
Streusel Topping (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with shortening, or line muffin tin cups with paper muffin cup liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir well with a wooden spoon to mix.
3. Cut peeled and cored apple into 4 pieces, then chop apple into small pieces (you should have approximately 1/2 cup).
4. Beat egg well, then add milk, oil, and apple butter to beaten egg. Beat with a fork until ingredients are well mixed.
5. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir with wooden spoon until dry and wet ingredients are just combined. Stir in chopped apple (the batter should be somewhat lumpy, not smooth.)
6. Spoon batter into each muffin cup (about 2/3 full). Sprinkle 1 rounded tablespoon of the Streusel Topping (see recipe below) over each muffin top.
7. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until muffins are golden, or until a cake tester inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
8. Remove muffin pan from oven and place on a wire cooling rack and let muffins cool for 5 minutes. Tip muffin pan to carefully remove muffins onto the cooling rack. Drizzle top of each muffin with caramel ice cream topping, if desired.
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted
To make the streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly.
Makes 12 muffins.
Source: Better Homes and Garden Junior Cookbook
Submitted By: Bianca
Date: May 24, 2007