1 cup plain chocolate biscuits (chocolate wafer cookies), crushed
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
500 grams (two 8 oz. packages) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup thickened cream, or heavy cream
200g (approximately 8 ounces) Toblerone chocolate (milk or dark chocolate), melted
Extra Toblerone chocolate (milk or dark chocolate), grated
1. Melt the 1/3 cup of butter.
2. Crush chocolate biscuits into crumbs.
3. Mix together the chocolate biscuit crumbs and melted butter. Press mixture into bottom of lightly greased 23cm (9-inch) springform pan. Place in refrigerator to chill.
4. Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth.
5. Place the chocolate in a small saucepan or in the top of a double boiler on low heat (water in bottom of double boiler should be at a slow simmer) and melt the 200g (approximately 8 ounces) of toblerone, stirring constantly.
6. Add the sugar, melted toblerone, and heavy cream to cream cheese and continue beating until thoroughly combined and very smooth.
7. Remove cheesecake base from refrigerator and spoon mixture into base. Smooth top of cake with a metal spatula. Refrigerate (in pan) for at least 4 hours or overnight.
8. Before seving, remove cheesecake from refrigerator and release sides of springform pan. Place cheesecake on serving platter and garnish with the extra grated Toblerone chocolate and dust top with confectioners' sugar (optional).
The longer you leave the cheesecake in the refrigerator, the firmer it will be; 12 hours or overnight is best.
Makes 8-10 servings.
Photograph taken by Diana Baker Woodall© 2002
Submitted By: Rachael
Date: May 16, 2002