2 medium size apples (good baking apples such as Granny Smith or Golden Delicious)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (1 medium lemon = 2 to 3 tablespoons)
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz./113g) unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons almond extract
Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Clean and core the apples but DO NOT PEEL. Cut apples into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Place cut up cubed apples in a bowl. Drizzle lemon juice over them and toss to coat. Add raisins, coconut, walnuts, and the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to the apples. Mix to combine.
4. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
5. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and the 3/4 cup sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until slightly thickened and light yellow in color. Beat in the melted butter and almond extract.
6. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture. Stir to combine. Add the apple mixture and fold into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown.
8. Transfer cake to a rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Source: Mangia Bene Pasta®
Submitted By: Kenneth Bakke
Date: September 26, 2006