1 (16 ounce) loaf frozen sweet roll dough
6 tablespoons butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 to 6 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces and/or chopped nuts
Small multicolored decorative candies (optional)
1. Thaw dough as directed on package. Grease eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or two 8 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan heat butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a delicate brown. Remove from heat; pour into a small bowl. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make spreading consistency. Remove 1 cup of the mixture; to this 1 cup mixture, stir in cinnamon to make filling. Cover and set aside. Cover remaining plain mixture to use as frosting and set aside.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread the filling evenly over dough to within ½ inch of edges. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces and/or nuts, if desired. Roll up into a spiral, starting from a long side. Moisten edge and pinch seam to seal. Slice roll into 18 equal pieces. (Or, for larger buns, cut dough into 12 buns and bake in muffin pans or one greased 9 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pan.) Place sides, cut sides down, in prepared muffin cups or baking pans. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double (45 to 60 minutes). Bake in a 350 degrees F (180 C) oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12-18 buns.
4. To present as a gift immediately, remove from pans. Cool slightly on wire rack. If necessary, add a small amount of additional milk to frosting to make spreading consistency. Spread frosting on top of rolls. Sprinkle with candies, if desired.
5. To serve at a later date, remove rolls from pan. Cool unfrosted buns. Wrap in decorative plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. Package frosting separately. (Buns and frosting may be frozen for up to 1 month.) Thaw in refrigerator before serving. Wrap unfrosted buns in foil. Heat in a 300 degree F (150 C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until warm. Stir frosting to soften, adding a little milk, if necessary. Spread frosting over buns.
To Present This As a Gift:
You will need wire cutters, plastic-coated wire in three desired colors, small rubber band, pinch-style paper holders (binder clips), and clean pan.
Cut three 18-inch lengths from each color of wire. With the wire ends even, wrap a rubber band tightly around the wires, approximately 3 inches from one end. Separate the wires, grouping colors together. Braid the wires together, leaving 3 inches at the end unbraided. Slip each group of wires through the tops of the paper holders. Knot each group of wires at the ends to secure. Return baked rolls to the clean pan. Clip the paper holders over the pan edge to create a handle. Form the wires into an arch. Include preparation instructions with gift.
Also Try This:
Use this quick-to-make handle on bowls or baskets that do not have handles.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Submitted By: Erica
Date: May 5, 2005