½ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar, light or dark
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium to large bananas)
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180 C).
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Add the bananas, honey, and eggs, beating until smooth.
3. Add the flour, then the walnuts, stirring until smooth.
4. Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, smoothing the top.
5. Let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. Bake the bread for 50 minutes, then gently lay a piece of aluminum foil across the top, to prevent over-browning. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the oven; a long toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center should come out clean.
6. Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan, and cooling it completely on a rack.
Source: King Arthur Flour
Submitted By: Erica
Date: May 5, 2005