1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
6 squares (1 oz. each) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or use semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chocolate Chips)
25 individually wrapped vanilla caramels, quartered (I recommend Kraft Caramels)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C (I baked mine at 350°F/180°C). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. This is a must. The cookies will stick to the pan if it’s not lined with parchment (I learned the hard way!).
2. Cream butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in a large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until light and creamy.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture, beating on low speed until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients.
4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonful at least 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes (mine took 10 – 12 minutes at 350°F/180°C), or until light golden (they’ll still look a bit under baked).
5. Cool for 5 minutes then transfer to rack and cool completely. It’s best if you cover the rack with parchment because the caramels melt while the cookies are baking and the bottoms are sticky until the cookies are completely cooled.
Note: You may substitute white chocolate chips or chunks for the semi-sweet chocolate.
Makes 3 dozen (3-inch) cookies.
Submitted By: Sadie
Date: June 20, 2004