8 oz/224 gm plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1 level tsp. baking powder
8 oz/224 gm butter
4 oz/112 gm castor sugar (granulated or superfine sugar)
4 large eggs (minus 2 of the egg whites)
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder (ground cinnamon)
1 lb/500 gm mixed fruit (chopped)
Brandy or Rum
Whole blanched almonds for decoration (optional)
1. Soak mixed fruits with 10 tbsp. of brandy or rum. Leave it overnight so as to have better flavour and softer texture.
2. Line the bottom of 7-inch round or square cake tin with greaseproof paper and grease the sides well with butter .
3. Sieve together the flour and baking powder.
4. Cream butter, sugar and honey until light and fluffy
5. Add eggs one by one beating thoroughly after each addition.
6. Lightly fold in 1/2 of the flour. Mix well before adding in 1/2 of the mixed fruits. Stir well to mix then add in the remaining flour and mixed fruits.
7. Pour mixture into the prepared tin and decorate with almonds (if using). Bake at 165ºC/330ºF for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
8. Cool cake on wire rack. When cake is completely cooled – after 4 to 5 hours, pour 5 tbsp. brandy or rum over the cake. Wrap it with foil (or keep it in an air-tight tin) and keep it over night before serving.
Note: The longer you keep the fruit cake the better it will taste.
Tip: Owing to long baking time, a small bowl of water can be placed in the oven to provide water vapour during baking and to prevent the cake from becoming dry.
Makes 1 (7-inch) cake.
Submitted By: Irene
Date: March 13, 2004