For the Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2 oz./56g) butter, softened
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the Cake:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6 oz./170g) butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
2. Make topping by combining 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup softened butter, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Mixture should have the consistency of moist sand.
4. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
5. In a large bowl, cream together 3/4 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
6. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
7. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
8. Add this dry mixture to the moist ingredients a little at a time.
9. Add milk and mix well.
10. Spoon the batter into a 9-inch round cake tin (you can also make the coffee cake cake in a bundt pan or a 9 x 9-inch square pan) that has been buttered and dusted with a light coating of flour.
11. Spinkle the crumb topping over the batter.
12. Be sure the topping completely covers the batter.
13. Bake for 50 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown (check at about 40 minutes).
14. Let cool.
Makes 12 servings.
Source: The Net
Submitted By: Irene Oon
Date: March 2, 2004