100g (3 1/2 oz.) plain (all-purpose) flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2 oz/56g) margarine or butter
1-2 dessertspoons (2-4 teaspoons/10-20 mL) cold water
pinch of salt
2 tbsp. milk
2 level tsp. granulated sugar
150ml (5oz.) thickening cream (heavy cream)
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence (extract or flavoring)
1. Sift flour and salt together.
2. Cut margarine (or butter, if using) into small pieces. Rub them into the flour using fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
3. Add water, a little at a time and mix with a fork. Mix until a dough is formed.
4. Dust the rolling pin and pastry board lightly with flour. Roll and cut the pastry into rounds.
5. Line the patty tins (mini tartlet pans) with pastry rounds. Lightly prick the base of the pastry with a fork.
6. Melt the sugar in the milk, (do not boil).
7. When the sugar has melted, remove from heat and add cream, egg yolks and vanilla essence. Beat lightly.
8. Pour the mixture into the pastry shells until 3/4 full.
9. Bake at 200°C (400°F) until golden brown or approximately 15-20 minutes.
Submitted By: Joanne Teo
Date: 22 Dec 2003