12 tablespoons cake flour
4 tablespoons semolina flour
7 tablespoons granulated sugar
10 tablespoons butter (plain or clarified)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract
12 whole almonds for garnish (optional)
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
1. In a large mixing bowl beat together the sugar with the butter until fluffy.
2. Stir in the vanilla and both flours (cake flour and semolina flour) to make a soft dough.
3. Pinch off 12 pieces of dough to make 12 balls.
4. Flatten balls between the palms of your hands to form small rounds about 1" (inch) in thickness.
5. With your index finger make a little depression in the centre of each cookie and place an almond in it.
6. Brush each cookie lightly with eggwash.
7. Bake cookies on a greased cookie sheet at 190 degrees C (375 F) for 15 minutes.
8. Cool cookies completely on cookie sheet or cooling rack.
9. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes 12 cookies.
Source: My Mom's Recipe
Submitted By: Fyezah J
Date: 8 June 2003