3 cups granulated sugar
Dash of salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2 oz./56g) margarine or butter, softened
Powdered sugar, if needed
1. Place 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy skillet; stir constantly until caramelized.
2. Combine remaining sugar and salt.
3. Warm the milk, water and softened butter in a medium saucepan then add sugar and salt mixture. Bring to a boil before adding caramelized sugar. Test for doneness by placing 1 tbsp. in a saucer and creaming.
4. When it begins to harden it is ready to spread on cake.
5. Beat and spread over cake. If it begins to harden, add a little milk or warm water. If it seems too thin, add a little powdered sugar.
Makes enough frosting for a 2 or 3 layer cake.
Submitted By: Pat Wynn