5 to 6 pieces plain matzos
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated or brown sugar
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup slivered almonds, crushed (walnuts or pecans may be substituted for the almonds if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Line a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan with aluminum foil topped with parchment paper and lay the matzo in a single layer so that it completely covers the bottom of the pan.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter and sugar over low heat. Raise the heat and boil the mixture for 3 minutes.
3. Pour the butter and sugar mixture over the matzo and spread it with the back of a spoon. Place the matzo in the oven for 5 minutes.
4. Remove pan from the oven and immediately pour the chocolate chips over the matzo.
5. Return the pan to the oven for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Remove the pan from the oven and smooth the chocolate evenly over the matzo with a spatula.
6. Sprinkle the crushed almonds (or crushed walnuts or pecans) over the top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Break into pieces and serve.
Matzo Bark keeps for about 1 week covered in the refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.
Date: April 10, 2004