3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup water
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup strawberry jam (or any other type of jam or preserves)
Cooking oil, for deep frying
Sifted confectioners' sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan heat and stir water, sugar, cooking oil, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add oil mixture to flour mixture; add egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
4. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.
5. Roll dough, 1 portion at a time, to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Place about 1/4 teaspoon jam onto the centers of half of the circles. Lightly moisten edges of circles; top with remaining circles. Press edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and fillings. Re-roll and cut trimmings.
6. Fry filled doughnuts, 3 or 4 at a time, in deep hot oil (365 degrees F) about 1 minute on each side or until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks.
Makes about 42 mini-sufganyiot.
Date: November 1, 2002