1. Sift flour and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
2. Rub shortening and butter into flour mixture with your fingers until dough resembles coarse cornmeal.
3. Add egg, then 4 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until dough holds together.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
5. For the filling, beat eggs with a whisk in a large mixing bowl.
6. Add flour, sugar, butter, vinegar, vanilla, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and sour cream. Stir just until mixed.
7. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
8. Roll out dough into a 12-inch round on a floured work surface.
9. Ease dough into a 9-inch pie pan and crimp edges.
10. Add filling and bake until top is golden, about 1 hour.
There will be tiny bubbles on the surface, but filling should not wiggle when pan is shaken.
Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve cold. Top with whipped cream if desired.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Date: September 4, 2002