3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks/6 oz./170g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup semisweet or bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (such as walnuts or pecans)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F/180 degrees C. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cupcake or muffin liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together both sugars and the slightly cooled melted butter until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture, mixing until just combined (don't overmix the batter or the cupcakes will come out tough). Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts, if using.
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven for 28 minutes or until a tester inserted into center of cupcake comes out with a few crumbs attached and a little melted chocolate. The tops of cupcakes will not spring back when touched.
5. Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on rack.
6. You may frost the cupcakes with frosting of your choice, if desired, or sprinkle tops of cupcakes (when completely cooled) with confectioners' sugar.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Date: December 13, 2008