1. Split the watermelon in half, reserving the other half for a later use. Using a large spoon, remove the fruit from the halved watermelon. Using your hands and knife, remove all seeds from watermelon and discard.
2. Dice watermelon into 2 inch pieces and put in a large bowl with the juice. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream and sugar. Bring the mixture up to a simmer.
3. Whisk the egg yolks until smooth and temper into the hot cream mixture. Cook the egg mixture for four minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Pour hot cream mixture over watermelon pieces and mix thoroughly. Cool to room temperature.
5. Using a hand held blender puree the mixture until smooth and strain.
6. Add the ice cream mixture with the chocolate chips to the ice cream machine.
7. Follow ice cream machine directions.
8. Serve ice cream or scoop out ice cream and place ice cream back into the empty half of watermelon.
9. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until very firm.
10. To serve, slice watermelon into 1 inch slices
Makes 1 gallon ice cream.
Source: ABCNews.com 1998. Recipe by Emeril Lagasse.
Date: July 25, 2002