2 cups unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup unsulphured molasses (not blackstrap)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups Splenda Granulated No Calorie Sweetener (you may use any other sugar-free artificial sweetener that can be used for baking, such as Equal)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting top of cake (optional)
Fat-free, sugar-free or lite non-dairy whipped topping, thawed or
Fat-Free or Sugar-Free Whipped Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Spray a 10 cup (10-inch) bundt pan with butter-flavored cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Pour applesauce, molasses, and vegetable oil into a large mixing bowl. Add eggs. Stir well.
3. Blend remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to the applesauce mixture. Stir well.
5. Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for approximately 20 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. When ready to serve, dust cake with a little confectioners' sugar (optional), and serve with non-dairy whipped topping or fat-free or unsweetened whipped cream.
Makes 18 servings.
Note from Diana:
This cake will serve 18 people, but the slices will be quite small. I would say that it will serve more like 10-12 people. If you are watching your carbohydrate intake, have a smaller slice (1/18 of cake).
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Makes 18 servings
Calories from Fat: 45
Total Fat: 5g
Saturated Fat: 1g
2 carbohydrate servings
1 fat serving
Photograph taken by Diana Baker Woodall © 2007
Source: Recipe adapted from Splenda.com
Date: December 24, 2007