2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup carob powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Extra chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, carob powder and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix remaining ingredients except nuts.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in nuts if using.
5. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle top of brownie batter with extra chopped nuts.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Makes 16 brownies.
Date: September 28, 2007