3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6 oz./175g) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
8 oz. (225g) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
7/8 cup (200g) superfine baker's sugar or caster sugar
3 medium eggs, separated
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Custard, Ice Cream or Whipped Cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F/160 degrees C. Butter a round 9-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Place 6 oz. of the chocolate, plus the butter and sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat gently until melted, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
3. Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then add the flour, nuts (optional), and the remaining chocolate.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently, but thoroughly, fold into the chocolate mixture.
5. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the center of oven for about 35-40 minutes until crusty on top. Let cool, then run a knife around the sides and remove from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm with custard or ice cream or cold with whipped cream.
Makes 10 servings.
Date: June 8, 2007