2/3 cup boiling water
1 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup molasses or dark full flavored honey, such as buckwheat
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1. Heat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over bran, molasses, oil, and raisins. Stir well and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and wheat germ. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, beat eggs and buttermilk until smooth.
4. Stir flour mixture into bran mixture. Add buttermilk mixture and stir together lightly until just mixed.
5. Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins are golden and spring back lightly when pressed with a fingertip.
6. Let muffins cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
Date: April 24, 2007