2 egg yolks
3/4 cup (6 1/2 oz.) granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup (6 1/2 oz.) cake flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Coat two 10-inch round cake pans with shortening.
2. Blend the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a mixer bowl with a wire whip attachment until the mixture doubles in volume-about 15 minutes on high speed. Just before stopping the mixer, add the vanilla and mix in.
3. Sift together the cake flour, cornstarch and salt. Fold dry mixture into egg mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, just until blended.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and put them immediately into the preheated oven. Bake until tops are springy to the touch, about 45-50 minutes.
5. Remove the cakes from the pans and cool on a wire rack. When cool, use a long serrated knife to slice off the tops of the cakes. For tiramisu or other layer cakes, divide each cake into three uniform layers with a serrated knife.
Makes two 10-inch cakes.
Date: June 26, 2002