1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen sweet roll dough, thawed
12 slivered almond pieces
1 large egg, beaten
1 tube (.68 ounce) brown decorating gel
1. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Cut the dough lengthwise into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-inch rope resembling a barbell, about 1/2 inch thick in the middle and about 1 inch thick at each end.
2. Tie each dough rope into a loose knot. Flatten one end of one knot and make cuts with a knife to form tail feathers. Shape the other end to resemble a head; press the head gently into the knot so it is positioned against the body.
3. Cut a slit in the head with a small knife; insert 1 slivered almond into slit for a beak.
4. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until almost double in size, about 35 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C. Uncover the rolls and brush with the beaten egg. Bake the rolls until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet; place on a wire rack to cool completely. Pipe eyes on each cooled roll with brown decorating gel.
Makes 12 rolls.
Date: April 7, 2007