3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6 oz./170g) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup superfine sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of half an orange, finely grated
Crème fraiche, whipped cream or ice cream, for serving (optional)
2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
Zest of 1/2 orange, finely grated
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Grease and lightly flour an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir and set aside.
4. Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and orange zest together in another bowl. Set aside.
5. With a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or alternatively with an electric hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. To the butter mixture, add half the wet mixture and then half of the dry mixture, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the remaining wet mixture followed by the remaining dry mixture beating until incorporated.
7. Spoon the cake batter into pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean when inserted, about 50 to 60 minutes. The pound cake should be golden in color and the top will be slightly cracked.
8. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out cake from pan and transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Brush with citrus glaze. Slice and serve with crème fraiche, whipped cream, or ice cream if desired.
1. Whisk orange juice, orange zest and confectioners' sugar together in a bowl until fully incorporated. Brush or drizzle over cooled cake.
Makes 10 servings.
Date: January 31, 2007