1. Beat egg yolks and 2 cups cream in large bowl on low to medium speed of mixer; set aside.
2. Stir together sugar and cocoa in large saucepan; gradually stir in egg yolk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very hot. Do not boil. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
3. Stir remaining 4 cups cream, almond extract and vanilla into chocolate mixture, blending well. Cover; refrigerate mixture at least 6 hours.
4. Pour chocolate mixture into cylinder of 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions; immediately fold in cherries and almonds. To ripen, repack in ice and salt; let stand several hours.
* To toast almonds: Heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool before using.
Recipe Adapted from Hersheys Chocolates
Date: May 27, 2002