1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with non-dairy margarine, or you may also use vegetable oil to grease the pan or spray pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Combine 1/3 cup of the flour with water in a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat untill thick, stirring constantly. Set mixture aside to cool completely.
3. Melt margarine and stir in the cocoa powder.
4. Sift together the remaining 2 cups flour with the baking powder.
5. Beat sugar, salt, and vanilla into the cooled flour mixture, then add the melted butter/cocoa mixture.
6. Add the above mixture to the sifted flour/baking powder mixture. Add chopped nuts, if desired.
7. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Let brownies cool in pan. Cut into squares when cooled completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Makes 16 brownies.
Date: December 1, 2006