1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
3 tablespoons orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
1 teaspoon very finely grated orange peel (zest), colored part only
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping (Cajeta), (see notes below)
1 (18.25-ounce) box butter recipe cake mix, such as Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden cake mix
Ingredients listed on cake mix package, substituting 1/2 cup tequila for part of water
1 teaspoon very finely grated lime peel (zest), colored part only
Optional: 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut; (see notes below)
Cajeta, a caramel sauce made with goat milk, can be substituted for caramel ice cream topping. Cajeta is sold in Latin American markets.
If you like coconut, it makes a nice addition to this cake.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F/160 degrees C.
2. In large bowl, whisk sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 3 eggs, orange liqueur and orange zest. Set aside.
3. Generously spray a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour caramel sauce in bottom of pan. Set aside.
4. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting 1/2 cup tequila for 1/2 cup of required water and adding lime zest. If using, fold coconut into batter. Pour batter on top of caramel in pan. Stir milk mixture and gradually pour over cake batter (milk mixture will sink and batter will rise).
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Unmold onto serving plate. Let cool completely.
Makes 14-16 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving):Calories 650 (80 percent from fat), fat 57.7 g (sat 8.9 g), protein 2.5 g, carbohydrates 30.1 g, fiber 0.8 g, cholesterol 32 mg, sodium 540 mg.
Source: Viva Margarita
Fabulous Fiestas in a Glass, Munchies, and More By W. Park Kerr
Photographs by Leigh Beisch
Published in April, 2004
Date: October 15, 2006