2 egg whites
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 cup peppermint candy (crushed)
Hot water (a sprinkle, if necessary)
1. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer to form very stiff peaks.
2. In a saucepan stir sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and water together until sugar is dissolved.
3. Using a candy thermometer to measure the temperature, bring sugar mixture to a boil to achieve hard ball stage (290 degrees F/143 degrees C).
4. Slowly pour sugar mixture into beaten egg whites while beating with electric mixer.
5. Beat combined mixture for about 5 minutes until stiff (mixture should hold its shape when dropped by a spoon onto wax paper. If mixture becomes too stiff, add a tiny bit of hot water).
6. Using a tablespoon, drop mixture onto wax paper and sprinkle with crushed peppermint.
7. Store candy in layers, between wax paper, in an airtight plastic container and refrigerate if you have high humidity.
Makes 16 servings.