1 (2.75 ounce) package Jello Flan Mix
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1 (9 oz.) box Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Sprinkle contents of flan mix caramel packet evenly over bottom of 8-inch round cake pan, spreading with back of spoon. Set aside.
3. Pour milk into medium saucepan and stir in flan mix. Stir over medium heat just until mixture comes to a boil. Place egg yolks in bowl and gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Carefully pour over caramel in pan.
4. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg, and 1/4 cup water. Stir to blend. Beat 300 strokes. Add remaining 1/4 cup water and beat another 300 strokes. Spoon batter over flan mixture in pan. (Cake batter and flan will separate into layers as they bake). Place pan in large roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with warm water to come halfway up cake pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Run a knife around edge of pan and invert onto serving plate, allowing caramel to drain over cake. Remove pan. Cut into wedges to serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Source: Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine by Sandra Lee- Semi-Homemade.
Date: October 12, 2006